My One Big Goal - 700 miles


My One Big Goal - 700 miles


Running from Lancaster, Pennsylvania to Savannah, Georgia

Miles Run So Far: 63.7

Miles To Go: 636.3

Sunday, April 11, 2010

goal attained!

This week, I'm back at it.

I'm back in the working out groove. It's been a while since I've really worked out (nearly) every day in a week...for nearly a year and half, really. I've kept running, sure, but as Runner's World Magazine is always writing, running isn't everything, and certainly isn't the only fitness activity a body should be doing. Ever so often, I'd do some crunches...before the wedding I did push-ups for a few weeks...but it wasn't consistent. And I'd let my yoga practice just die.

Well, NO MORE.

This week marks a turn around for me. Here's what I've done:

1. I set a running goal.

I've never set a running goal before. I've advanced how far I can run, I've signed up for a few races, but I've never said, "THIS is my goal." It's part of the whole "relaxed runnerness" in me. Most runners are crazy methodical about time, pace, repeats, 200-400-800, yassos, miles, etc. Me, I just run. I try to run a certain number of miles, especially if I've got a half marathon coming up. But I'm such a slacker that I rarely get there. Case in point: for the Disney Half, during training, my highest weekly mileage was 18 miles. Now, to nonrunners, that might sound fantastic...but to runners, it's more of a shoulder shrug. My next weekly high mileage was 13 (not including the race)...not stellar, really.

My running goal for the week: Run between 12 and 15 miles.

2. I started a new training log.
In the past, I'd use the online log at RunnersWorld.com...but in all honesty, really I'm a pen&paper girl at heart. As much as I'm on the computer all the time, for some reason, the online thing didn't really work for me.
I renewed my subscription to RW mag, and they sent me a simple, hold-it-in-your-hands training log. AND I'm using it. So far, one week noted.

3. I'm doing more than running.
I'm back at yoga and boy, I've got to tell ya, I am waaaaay out of practice! I'm struggling through a series of three flowing postures, arms shaking, and my thighs are screaming...and it all reminds me of April 2005 when I first started yoga, working out (elliptical), and this whole healthy living thing I've been doing for 5 years now. But, the yoga is helping me reacquaint myself with my body in ways that I'd gotten lazy about - my posture's all icky, my butt sticks out when I walk, my breathing's crap, and peace? Gone.
And I'm doing some core exercises too, because all runners should have a strong core.

So, one week in and I've logged about 50 push-ups, 240 crunches, 3 yoga workouts, and...GOAL ATTAINED!

I ran 14.05 miles this week!

1 comment:

  1. nice job jill! that is great that ur doing other workouts too. do u do yoga on ur own or take a class?

    ReplyDelete