My One Big Goal - 700 miles


My One Big Goal - 700 miles


Running from Lancaster, Pennsylvania to Savannah, Georgia

Miles Run So Far: 63.7

Miles To Go: 636.3

Friday, April 30, 2010

feeling groovy

Ever since Disney, my legs just haven't felt "right." First, they were sssoooo tired! The time or two I ran, felt as if I was running with a clingy toddler hanging on to each leg. Then, both Achilles felt like someone had come in during the night and shortened them by an inch. Running friend Heather advised that I 1) not run so much for a bit 2) avoid wearing high heels 3) avoid hills and 4) s-t-r-e-t-c-h all the time.

I followed this great advice. Running only once a week, under 3 miles, was tough, just as I was all focused on trying to meet my first running goal (Run 12-15 miles each week. I did this once.). Instead, I tried to do some core exercises each day, yoga every other day, and got in a nice 14 mile bike ride in with my wonderful husband. Every day, my Achilles felt a bit better.

Finally, I was ready to test my Achilles. The day was a perfect one for running - sunny, bright blue skies, some clouds, and the temp was in the low 50s. I ran on the flat river path along the Susquehanna River in Harrisburg, with the water flowing fast beside me, and the wind whipping along with me. I felt great - not one twinge from my Achilles - I felt fast and strong, all the reasons I love running.

I'm so thankful that I listened to my body, didn't press through the pain and injury to keep running. Yes, some tightness and pain, nagging twinges happen from time to time. A lot of these can actually ease up with a good run. I'm thankful for the advice of smart friends who alleviated my fears (Achilles problem! YIKES! does this mean no more running?).

Sometimes, you think clearer when you aren't running about where you hope you are going when you've got those shoes laced up...

Perhaps it's post-Boston fervor, but I've decided that I'm going to do it. Run the WHOLE distance. This might be a bit premature, seeing how I've only ever run 13.1 miles once (twice, if I count the Disney half, but I did walk that with Anna and Tracey for a good, solid 2 miles, maybe more, from about the 9 mile mark on).

Here's my plan: over the summer I don't have my Claire Bear, as she's with her daddy (well, I do see her every other weekend, and a week here & there). This means that I'll have at least 5 completely kid-free days every week free. So, I'm going to do a marathon training program, without signing up for a marathon. I want to see how I do, how I'm fitting in all those miles at my slow turtle trot.

Then, I hope to find a fall marathon somewhere in the PA area to run (preferably after the Philly Rock n Roll Half Marathon in September, that I'm hoping to run with Glenn; it'll be his first race longer than 5 miles).

I'm feeling groovy, and a little giddy at the prospect. 26.2 here I come.

2 comments:

  1. So glad your Achilles is doing great, and I am excited for you with doing a marathon. I know you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yipppeee glad ur feeling better! and i like the description of feeling like a clingy toddler is holding onto each leg when u try to run...sounds familiar ;-)

    ReplyDelete