My One Big Goal - 700 miles


My One Big Goal - 700 miles


Running from Lancaster, Pennsylvania to Savannah, Georgia

Miles Run So Far: 63.7

Miles To Go: 636.3

Saturday, May 8, 2010

saturdays with my love

Every other Saturday, Glenn and I are blessed with a wonderful gift - no kids. Don't get me wrong - we love our children and are completely devoted to them. It's just nice to have a day that we can devote to grown-up things like applying for passports, paying bills, planning life events, mulching stuff and hauling our good-enough junk to the charity store.

The best part of our Saturdays: our bike ride. There's a great Rails for Trails that runs right through Lebanon Valley, and it is a wonderful place for a bike ride. There's shady spots and beautiful views of rolling Pennsylvania farmland, green hills and red barns.

On today's bike ride, my legs were tired pretty much from mile 2 on (and we rode 19 miles). My 6 mile run yesterday probably had a lot to do with that, as did the crazy wind, which was constant and gusts up to 40 mph. Talk about your resistance training! The bike ride made me feel both fit and unfit at the same time...fit, just to be outside working my muscles, enjoying my husband's company...unfit at the struggle it was to keep peddling at times.

My motivation: Paula (AdventureJunkieMom). Paula is training for an Ironman. An Ironman. I am exhausted just typing that word, never mind contemplating the 2 1/2 mile swim, 112 miles biked followed by running a marathon. Last weekend Paula ran a mock-half Ironman as part of her training...as I was peddling my little (ok, big) butt off, I kept thinking of Paula, biking 56 miles and then thinking, "Oh, I'll now run 13..."

When I got home, I nearly fell going down the stairs, my muscles were that tired! But, tired in that great way that lets you know you are alive and using every muscle that God gave you, taking care of the gift of life given to you by your Creator.

No comments:

Post a Comment